Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Before You, There Was No Me

I’ve made a recent discovery that has shaken me to the core.
It’s as if my soul is a mattress and the universe a child,
Eagerly jumping on me for the first time,
Relishing every bounce, every shake, every vibration,
Evoking in me all beautiful emotions capable of being felt by a human,
Sensations that I cannot begin to name,
Feelings that history has not yet deemed capable of description,
Let alone designation.

The breakthrough is simply this:
Before you, there was no me.

This is not meaningless symbolism,
Or existential metaphor that attempts to articulate a half realized truth.
As surely as the deer will liberate it’s burdened head from it’s crown of bones,
As surely as the glorious sun will grow weary as the days become old,
As surely as the heart in my chest beats only to the rhythm of yours,

Surely I tell you:
Before you, there was no me.

The feeble fragments of my wild, aimless being tried to find a home,
Like a blind albatross, migrating west,
Pointlessly yearning for the warmth of destiny,
But the clouds, and the mountains, and the bottles, and the ash,
They held me captive,
Incarcerating me for twenty four years,
With promises of totality and providence,
But no matter how many hills were climbed,
Or valleys crossed,
Or flags raised on global soil,
The fullness of my uniqueness could not be realized on it’s own.

Surely I tell you:
Before you, there was no me.

Now we share life, and life shares us.
We are perfectly imperfect, you and I,
Calm or storm, meadow or desert.
A wholeness discovered once in a lifetime,
A new breath, a new tune, a new element yet to be discovered by man.
Because of you I’ve found completion,
Because of you I’ve found purpose, calling, strength, and peace.
Because of you I’ve found life.
Because of you, I’m unbroken.
And no natural law on earth or in the heavens can move me.

Now that I’ve found you, I know who I am.

Surely I tell you:
Before you there was no me.

Surely I tell you:
We will walk steadfast,
Arm in arm,
Hand in hand,

To the edge of eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment